Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Core DJ's Retreat IV

The Core DJ's retreat in Houston , (Thursday through Sunday ) was exceptional and historical. Houston was the perfect host. We had a great time eating, dancing, bonding and networking. My highlights included spending time with the founder of Rap Music and hip hop culture DJ Kool Herc. Kool Herc is a class act. He's a good soul and it was an honor to spend time with him. This man is the founder and father of a musical movement that has changed the world. In him, I have a friend who understands and feels the music and burden for the culture the way I do. He spoke about using the music for good, to affect change and for fun. I watched Kool Herc celebrate and support new artist and DJs this weekend as I did the same. It was exhilarating! I will forever cherish this retreat.

MC Lyte, (my friend) was as beautiful as ever. She is brilliant (activist) and a hip hop legend. Mix Master Ice (UTFO) and I reminisced about my first tour, (when I opened for them) and how two years later I was in Japan on a $500,000 tour. I demanded that hip hop artists be paid on par with rock and pop artists. Just Ice, the original "gangster rapper" and I clowned each other all weekend long as we always do. We met in 1986 at the New Music Seminar in NY and he was mad because he lost (says he was robbed!) to MC Breeze (Joey B. Ellis) from Philly. Breeze would later sign to my label. Just Ice is a real dude and a good friend of mine. We love to kick it and talk about everybody!

Another highlight was when Houston Rapper Bun B ( member of the legendary rap group UGK), was given a standing ovation as he walked to the platform to address the Core DJ's and the music industry. When he got to the stage while all were still on their collective feet he asked for a hat, when got the hat from a member of the audience he put it on his head and then said to my surprise:
"I would like to tip my hat to MC Hammer, for many years a lot of rappers called you a sellout for all the deals you did with all the corporations out there, today every rapper in this room and in the music business would kill to have a deal with Pepsi and to have a saturday morning cartoon. I thank you Hammer for showing us how to get money and for laying the business blue print for us."
I was honored and touched by Bun B's words and sincere show of love and appreciation. I will never forget what he did. Thanks Bun B.

The Core DJ's make me proud. The organization is professional. The DJ's are good people. I am glad to know and support their movement. Tony Neal, and the Core DJ family is real. We were together five days and I got a chance to get to know the spirit of the members and I will keep all in my prayers and ask God to Bless them, and their families with health, prosperity and salvation.

Houston, Texas is a special place. They rolled out the carpet for us. Jay Prince (Rap-A-Lot) watched over all and extended his hand. Mike Jones, Slim Thug and Mike 5000 Watts all held us down. Thank U. Houston, Thank U for taking in our families from Louisiana, Mississippi, etc.. We love U.

15 comments:

Nicole said...

Reading this post brings back some really fond memories. Kool Herc? MC Lyte?? These people are LEGENDS!!!

Must have been an amazing event. :)

North said...

Mr. MC, God put you on earth for a purpose. You conformed any negative, to postive!! You strive to manifest peace, love and hope.

You are like a drop of cool rain.

Risen from the ashes like the great Phoenix you are, you have come full-circle.

Kudo's to the "lady activist."

I resonate with the "passion" to change wrong things, to be the first drop, to start the wave.

I did almost five years of activism for women/children of lone parent families; the eldery and the disabled.

I submitted newspaper-media articles I'd researched and written, and challenged defunct political programs; designed to keep societies most vulnerable down; not lift them UP and OUT, of poverty and deprivation!

IT cost me big-time! I would not change one moment.

Anyway, I love reading your ins and outs of your life, MC.

I feel, you give us a great privelege, to be "walking with you" and your work and family, this way.

Not many celeb's do this sharing, beyond thier career stats. You share all, and I like that openness.

thankyou, for the inspirations!

My story will be published in a magazine tomorrow 3-15, by journalist: Kavita Chhibber. I invite you personally, MC; to come visit; and may it, be inspiring to you and yours..as you are, to me and mine.

http://kavitachhibber.com/

BTW, she is based in Atlanta : )

Keep shining your light, MC! I would loveeeee to be at a jam session with ya'll! wow! Maybe I'll catch you on tour somewhere?

But, being in rural northern ontario; it's unlikely, so I'll hear you on disc.

listening to music, keeps the dance of God alive in me; it makes me want, "to dance, for Him" to show my appreciation.

North

John Burkholder said...

A+ post.

Bun B is right. You did cut the frontier for Hip Hop.

supermom_in_ny said...

Good morning,
Sounds like that was an awesome retreat. Your topic is similar to the one that Biz Markie was discussing this morning on Star and Buc Wild's morning show on Power 105.1 in NYC, NY. Biz spoke on how Hip Hop started as a way to make some extra money without the 9-5 and it blew up into the current marketable industry.

Biz was posed a very interesting question regarding his versatility and range and how it has contributed to his longevity. They also discussed another topic about the current Hip Hop artists and the problems that "their entourages" cause as well as the issue of "snitching." Being that you had a similar issue with your entourage (that was on payroll and seemed to cause problems), I was wondering your take on the matter. The up and coming rap artists need mentors to guide them through unknown territory. Could and would they take advice from the "innovators" and would you be willing to contribute to such a gargantuan project? A key similarity between you and Biz is your faith. A connection that may help your untiy to address violence in Hip Hop. An incident like the Busta Ryhmes video shoot murder may have been avoided.

Tupac and Biggie, Nas and JayZ, Cannibus and LL Cool J all had altercations. Some were handled by battling it out on the mike and obviously others weren't. Hip Hop is a form of expression that comes from the minorities of this country. Some rap comes from the poverty stricken's plight such as 50 cent and others from another pesrpective of family unity like Queen Latifah and Will Smith. Can't there be a way to show all the range of minorities in America and not bring the violence with it?

Retreats like the one you attended would be the perfect forum for a project like this...

poeta said...

heyyy great blog man, I`m poeta from chile, visit to my blog of poetry www.poesiacesar.blogspot.com

Ava said...

Thanks for the description of your trip. I could envision everything.

Ava

ak47sicario said...

What can I say is amazing, MC Hammer.... hello from mexico

Reach said...

Hammer, great post and you tell it as I remember.
You created another rejuvenation, I do not know if you are aware. Your words and music was witnessed to the rebirth of Rexing. Many people enjoyed that sport, when it was associated with your work.
I did not know if you were aware of this fact.

Reach

North said...

Interesting point someone brought up in a post.

How does one stay main-stream objective; with millions on the table; which might prove to challenge one's sense of integrity?

IF anything, MC; young people need good influence out there. A modern John Lennon.

I like rap too; but, the bad condemning songs, take away the light of goodness for the others.

Didn't Rock and Roll, endure similar circumstance?

Kids today need good role-modeling. They are desperate for respectful leadership.

: )

North

Ricky Ross said...

Thank you Bun B, for being intelligent, as always! You said what every damn rapper needs to say to this man about paving the way.

Dj One 1X TyMe said...

Hammer, as one of the Core Djs who was there with you at the retreat. I want to thank you for being as real as you have always appeared to be on television and in your music.

I was filming you most of the weekend and saw your interactions with your fans, and some haters. You are good person that god has blessed with extraordinary talent. Even through all the hype, you still remain humble. There were certain celebrities in attendance who were not so humble, oddly enough these were the tv personalities and NOT the hip hop artists or djs...

I'm putting together an internet only film of the Core Dj Retreat in Houston. It will be available in April @ www.TyMeLyNe.com or www.DjOneTyme.com

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ilequfymop.ibnsites.com/qytudem.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://ybuhopat.freewebsitehosting.com/ohujysa.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Now, I feel good, I started to get real income.
It gets down to choose a correct companion who utilizes your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, and shares the profit with me.

You can ask, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

If you planning to purchase ED clothing
, just visit ED Hardy Shoes
online store for more information and discounts! Today, you can see hardy shirt
stores here and there even if on the internet. If you log on our website and choose hardy shirt
, we will provide you more discount.



daidaihua
detoxify your body thereby expelling all the harmful toxins in your body. Among a huge range of lida slimming
present in the market. slimming capsule
makes weight loss easy and quick. Though there may be enormous companies introducing slimming capsules
. This is exactly what lida
do. Also there is no need to cut down on food while you are taking lida daidaihua
regularly.